Saturday, February 02, 2008
UN research indicates high levels of trauma among Iraqi refugees
DAMASCUS, 22 January 2008 (IRIN) - Iraqi refugees in Syria are suffering from extreme levels of trauma, far higher than among refugees elsewhere from other recent conflicts, according to new figures released on 22 January by the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR).
The figures, based on interviews with 754 refugees and analysed by the US Center for Disease Control using the Hopkins Symptom Checklist (HSC) and the Harvard Trauma Questionnaire (HTQ), reveal that 89.5 percent are suffering from depression, 81.6 percent from anxiety and 67.6 percent from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
Photo: Julien Lennert/IRIN
- The story is not true
- Evidence of Israeli "Cowardly Blending" Comes to L...
- The colors of Damascus
- Under 18
- Syria in pictures : four added albums
- Saboteurs may have cut Mideast telecom cables
- Doomsday' seed bank to be built
- A message from the Iraqi resistance
- SARKO blows a fuse
- An earthquake in Damascus ?
- Israeli army abducts 85 Palestinians in the West B...
- Tear down the walls
- Israel and Iran
- Haifa Wehbe
- Bruges : Jew kicked out for wearing kippah
- Abou Trika : solidarity with Gaza
- Jonathan Cook's "Israel and the Clash of Civilisat...
- 4th International cartoon contest (SYRIA 2008)
- Mardi Gras at Binche (Belgium)
- Tariq Ali and the Turin Book Fair
- Syrian Bloggers : release the blogger Tariq Biasi
- Can I Have My Change Back: Arab-Americans and Obam...
- It takes 43 muscles to frown and 1...
- Israel gearing up for Another War
- UN research indicates high levels of trauma among ...
- Female bombers kill 72 at Baghdad pet markets
- ▼ February (26)